Thursday, July 5, 2012

A Niagara Falls of grateful tears

"I'm sure you've also had a time when things collapsed around you.  Describe the circumstances.  How did you feel?" - from Fingerprints of God by Jennifer Rothschild
                That is the question from my current bible study that had me on my couch in tears just a few days ago.  All I could think about was the day of my miscarriage...the physical pain, the emotional heartbreak, and the mental questioning of the entire situation.  But through those hard to bear thoughts and emotions that caused another Niagara Falls of tears, I also thought of the blessings I was given on that day - most importantly, of the people who made more of a difference than they probably realized.  God surrounded me with incredible colleagues, family members, and friends who made that experience easier to handle.  So today, I simply want to thank God for placing these people in my life and to thank the people themselves for everything they did for me.
                Thank you to an incredible colleague who didn't question me and covered my classes for the rest of the day when I left without warning after asking her to watch my students so I could take a quick restroom break...to my colleague's student teacher who stepped up and made it possible for her to cover for me...to my school nurse and secretaries for providing me with a safe space to contact my husband and my doctor before I left the school and for sending me out the door with no work burdens on my back as they made sure everything would be covered...to my boss who, even before he knew what was going on, didn't question why I had to leave work and told me to take whatever time off I needed...to my colleagues who were concerned for me when I left unexpectedly and reached out with support (not knowing what had happened yet) upon my return...to my parents whose medical resources quickly eased my physical pain in the comfort of my own home and who provided emotional support when I needed it the most...to my friends for being understanding when I ditched out on our dinner plans that evening without giving a reason...and, of course, to Steve for being there to hold my hand as we both grieved our loss. 
                As many of you who read this blog have been through a similar circumstance yourselves, I pray that you are also able to reflect on the good things that happened in the midst of despair.  While it doesn't change the heartbreak you feel over your loss, it does remind you of the blessings that surround us all every day we walk the face of this earth.  And for that, even through the tough times, I believe wholeheartedly that we should be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment