Monday, April 9, 2012

Why the title "Jealous of Fertile Myrtle"?

Fertile myrtle - a term used to refer to women who a) get pregnant easily or b) get pregnant often.

                When I asked Steve what he thought of the blog title he said he'd never heard the term fertile myrtle before.  Maybe it's just something women say...I don't know, but either way I figured I should clarify why I chose the title.  Once I explained what a fertile myrtle was, he said it was a good title.  I also decided to ask for my friend Becca's opinion before I officially went with it (to get a woman's opinion and because anyone who knows Becca knows that she is a blogging queen!).  She liked it so I stuck with it.  The whole point of this blog is to be real and honest about thoughts and feelings...and if I'm being real and honest, I am totally jealous of the fertile myrtles of the world.  Is jealousy a good, redeeming quality?  Absolutely not, but I'm jealous nonetheless.  That doesn't mean I love my friends who might qualify as "fertile myrtles" any less...some of them have been my greatest supporters through this journey and I love them dearly for that!  But when you've been trying to get pregnant without much success, you can't help but be jealous of those women whose roads to motherhood have been easier than yours.  In the time that we've been trying to get pregnant, I have witnessed friend after friend experience the joys of becoming a mother (several of them more than once) only to have my heart break a little each time because I am reminded of the letdowns in my own journey to motherhood.  So yes, I'm jealous of fertile myrtle and I'm not ashamed to admit that. 

1 comment: