Saturday, April 7, 2012

"Medical" timeline of my journey thus far...

I said this in my initial post and I'll say it again (probably often): I don't post this entry so people can throw a "pity party" for me.  I post this because I know there are women out there who can identify and need to hear that someone else is traveling the same road they are.

July 2009 - Steve and I began trying to get pregnant.
Winter 2009 - Began getting concerned about trouble conceiving because I was having irregular periods.  My mom (aka my primary healthcare provider) put me on some natural supplements to regulate my period.  Began using OPKs (ovulation predictor kits) each cycle.

June 2010 - Began tracking my BBT (basal body temperature) on a daily basis for my doctors. 

July 2010 - OBGYN began discussing next steps to increase my fertility since we had been trying for a year.  Both my OBGYN and my mom recommended acupuncture because they knew I was supportive of natural interventions.  Started acupuncture treatments targeted to increase fertility.  Have continued these treatments (app. 3 times per month) ever since.
November 2010 - Steve got tested.  OBGYN didn't seem too concerned about his numbers.

December 25, 2010 - Took a home pregnancy test (2 days before my missed period) because the Christmas present I really wanted was to find out I was pregnant.  It was POSITIVE!
January 13, 2011 - Our first doctor's appointment of the pregnancy.  I had been spotting that week and had already been on the phone with the office numerous times because I was worried.  They decided to go ahead and do an ultrasound.  When they did the ultrasound and everything looked fine, it finally felt real to me and I actually believed that we were going to have a baby.  Two hours after I got home from my doctor's appointment I get a call that my bloodwork showed extremely low progesterone levels and that I had to immediately start a high dose progesterone supplement to support the pregnancy...my confidence quickly faded.

January 14, 2011 - I miscarried late in the afternoon.  I'll spare you the "medical" details and will just say that I am so thankful to have two doctors for parents...they have good access to shots that help stop painful and unpleasant symptoms pretty quickly.  Ironically, Steve and I had decided earlier in the week that this was the day we were going to tell the rest of our immediate families about the pregnancy.  Steve had to call them and tell them about a miscarriage instead.
Spring 2011 - Began trying to get pregnant again...we were hopeful it would happen more quickly this time since we had finally been able to get pregnant once.

Early Fall 2011 - OBGYN began mentioning incorporating Clomid into my fertility treatment to encourage stronger ovulations.  I told her I would consider it after the first of the year if I wasn't pregnant again with just the natural interventions.
January 2012 to Now - Started taking Clomid in addition to my acupuncture treatments.  My OBGYN has me scheduled to go in next month whether I'm pregnant or not so we can talk about what might be next...

(Side note: At the request of my mom, I also saw several other natural health practitioners during this time for consultations about my fertility problems.  I'll share about those another time...they need explanations and more details than we have time for in this post.)
I would love to be a listening ear if you want to share the details of your experiences with someone who can relate.  You can email me at jealousoffertilemyrtle@gmail.com.  I want to pray for you and send my love your way if you will let me :).

No comments:

Post a Comment