Sunday, October 21, 2012

Random thoughts from this past week...

Thought #1: Don't forget that good friends are a gift through the struggles of life.

                I recently had dinner with a friend that led into a conversation I wasn't expecting (I'll call her X to make this retelling easier).  X shared with me her total frustration about another dinner we were at a few weeks prior with a group of people and wanted to apologize to me for comments made by the others.  I can assure you that X did not make any comments at our group dinner that she needed to apologize for, but she felt like the others who dined with us on that particular occasion were being insensitive about my fertility situation...and to be honest, so did I but often times it's hard to say something.  I know people mean well, but sometimes they just don't realize that what they are saying is hurtful or, at the very least, not at all helpful.  And that goes for people struggling with fertility or any other issue out there.  But X's kind thoughts when we got together again (just the two of us) was a wonderful reminder of the blessing of friends.  No one is perfect and everyone is going to do something that hurts someone else's feelings sometime, but if you surround yourself with good people you will always have someone there to help pick you up when you are down.  So don't ever forget that your friends are a gift...and always try to return that gift to them :).

Thought #2: Students sure can make you feel awkward sometimes.
                I can't tell you how many times in the last few years students of mine have asked if I have any kids yet.  Innocent enough question, but when I say no it has led down two different paths: 1. they quit talking about it because their curiosity has been fulfilled OR 2. they begin to tell me why they think I should have kids.  In light of my journey thus far, I probably don't need to elaborate on how awkward I feel standing there listening to a 10 year old who chooses to go down path #2...

No comments:

Post a Comment