Saturday, October 13, 2012

Au naturel

                I've talked a bit on here about acupuncture and its benefits for women and men who struggle with infertility issues.  I've also shared about the dietary guidelines I follow.  Today I want to talk about a couple of the other natural medical approaches I've tried in conjunction with these two things.  I know it is every person's choice what they feel comfortable trying and not trying when they are traveling down the road of becoming mommy or daddy.  While I have done some of the basics of what modern medicine suggests, I have preferred to explore pretty much all the avenues of natural medicine that I can before looking into some of the more invasive fertility treatments that modern medicine has to offer.  As the child of someone who emphasizes natural medical paths in her own practice (remember Julie Penick, DNP, PhD, ThD, FNP, MSN...and my mom?), I have learned so much about what the human body is able to do on its own if we do the things we need to do naturally to support it in the right way.  For me personally, I have explored natural treatments as much as I can so that I could give my body every opportunity to work as it was intended to work in the first place.  So, here are a couple other natural treatments I have explored:

1. Enzyme therapy...prescribed by that crazy lady that I call my mother :).  While we have changed the different enzymes that I have taken over the years based on new research and methods my mom learns about, I have always been taking something to help support my body.  Currently I swallow 41 pills/tablets/capsules a day between what my mom has me taking and the Chinese herb my acupuncturist has me taking.  I get a good half of my water intake for the day just when I'm taking my enzymes alone!  While it may seem like a lot, each of those supplements (those 41 capsules are from 11 different supplements) has a purpose and it's worth the few minutes it takes each day to swallow them down. 
2. Chiropractic work.  About 6 months ago, I went to see a chiropractor who specializes in helping people with non-typical issues.  He noticed my alignment was way off and that it was causing a lot of pressure in the area of my reproductive organs.  He did some adjusting a few times and my body finally seemed to be holding the adjustments so, as far as I know, my alignment is still good and the pressure has been relieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment