Friday, August 10, 2012

Aunt Flo has become fickle

                For the last two cycles my period has been late with no explanations and no pregnancy either time :/.  5 days late the first time, 3 days the second.  If you've been trying or tried to conceive for any amount of time, you can understand the kind of back and forth emotions that could come along with a late period.  It's like you're waiting to pick up a family member at the airport.  You do your preparations: verify their flight arrival time, clean out the passenger seat of your car (at least I know I would have to take that step...some of you may take better care of your vehicles), leave the house with plenty of time to make it to the airport, and make sure to have your cell phone ready so that they can call you when they arrive.  But then you arrive and you're stuck circling the airport because you haven't heard from them yet.  So you decide to park the car and go inside to check if their flight has been delayed.  No delay or cancellation notices, no phone calls - so what the heck is going on?!  That's what a late period when you're trying to conceive feels like...a frustrating, unexplained delay.  A cancellation notice would mean a positive pregnancy test so you'd be thrilled to get that as your answer.  But no cancellation notices here (trust me, I checked...and checked...and checked one more time just to make sure).  I guess my Aunt Flo just decided to roam around the airport doing some duty free shopping when her plane first landed without telling me.  And then she finally comes walking out.  She's later than I expected, but she arrives all the same.
                When Steve and I first got married, I breathed a sigh of relief every month when I would get my period.  (Come on ladies, don't act like you didn't do it too ;) - I've had plenty of friends who have expressed the same thoughts to me!)  But now, instead of being relieved that I'm a young newlywed whose birth control seems to be working well, I struggle with feelings of disappointment the day my not-so-dear Aunt Flo comes to visit.  And since she's decided to throw me for a loop with her fickle ways the last couple months, I'm even more annoyed with her than usual.

                Lord - Thank you that you have a plan for Steve and me.  Thank you that you know the paths that lie ahead and that you walk with me every step of the way.  Although at times I may become frustrated when a rock falls into my path, I will keep my eyes focused on you and the wonderful gifts you have for me in my life.  I hold steadfastly to your word that you work all things for my good and can't wait to see the future you have in store for our family.

1 comment:

  1. Oh goodness! I 100% can relate to the change in views of AF. And to think I used to be relieved! Seems silly now doesn't it? Sorry she came late. Even ONE day late gets your (my) hopes up. I can't imagine THREE, let alone FIVE days of that! Thanks for sharing your prayer. Your faith is an encouragement.

    ReplyDelete