Friday, June 1, 2012

"Coming Soon" to a blogger near you...

                Addressing a topic I raised in my last blog post: what's up next for doing my part toward my miracle?  I mentioned that I would share more about my "coming soon" interventions that I discussed with my OBGYN at an appointment earlier this month, so here goes.  As many of you know, thus far Steve and I have very much preferred to follow the most natural fertility interventions that we could.  I've done acupuncture, seen several natural health practitioners, and taken several supplements on a regular basis (technically some of these have been prescription meds to get the dosage I needed, but they were all still based on natural compounds).  All of this was done, and continues to be done, in an effort to get my body in balance so that my fertility would increase.  And since I was able to get pregnant once doing only natural interventions, we have been hopeful that those interventions would work again.  Unfortunately, we've not yet been successful in getting pregnant again in the last year and a half.  That was the reason I agreed to start taking Clomid in January of this year and began discussing more interventions with my OBGYN.  I haven't lost faith that natural interventions are helpful and can work, but after relying solely on natural interventions for another year without another pregnancy we are also considering some of the more basic interventions that modern medicine has to offer in an effort to increase our chances of having a baby soon.   
                So far, the Clomid has been a mixed bag for us.  For those of you unfamiliar with what Clomid (clomephine citrate if you want to sound fancy) is, it is a fertility drug that is used to stimulate a stronger ovulation in a woman's body.  I have not had any noteworthy negative side effects since starting on Clomid (yay) and it seemed to work very well the first couple months I was on it; however, the next couple months showed a reduced effectiveness in my body's response to the drug (AKA - my eggs weren't getting all amped up anymore like they were when they first met this mysterious Clomid creature).  So during the month of May we doubled my dose of Clomid in hopes that my body would respond again.  It seems to have helped, although it still didn't quite give the effect that my body initially responded with.  But because I did show improvement, I've decided to try another month at this higher dose before taking the interventions to the next level (might as well give it a shot a couple months in a row...after all, Rome wasn't built in a day, right?).  We're also getting Steve tested again just to be sure that everything is still good in that department.  And then next up for me is probably a laparoscopy with a tubal dye perfusion (and possible ovarian drilling...I have to do more research on this one) sometime this summer.  I'll be sure to share more details with you when we get there.
                After the interventions mentioned above, my OBGYN has said she would refer us to a fertility clinic when Steve and I are ready for that step.  I guess when we feel the time is right we will probably see what a fertility clinic has to say.  To be honest, right now we're really on the fence about most options a fertility clinic would be able to offer us.  We're still young and not yet in danger of "running out of time" so to speak, but we are also anxious to become parents.  It's a balancing act and we'll be trying to figure out what's best for us in the coming months.  Tough decisions will require lots of thinking and lots of praying...asking God to reveal for us what path He wants us to take to experience the miracle of becoming parents.  We'll see what the road holds ahead.  For now, we're taking it (cue music) "one step at a time, there's no need to rush...it's like learning to fly or falling in love...it's gonna happen when it's supposed to happen..."  And now I really hope you have that Jordin Sparks' song running through your head because it has a great message!  I'll tell you like I tell my students when they complain I've gotten a song stuck in their head: must mean I'm doing a great job at being a music teacher ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment